AVU School of Architecture

Architect: Jan Kotěra, Josef Gočár

Year of completion: 1924

The School of Architecture at the Academy of Fine Arts (AVU) is the result of the gradual work of several renowned architects. The single-story building with a pointed roof was built next to the original building of the Academy of Fine Arts in 1910. At that time, it was a realization by Jan Kotěra, the founder of Czech modernism in architecture, who felt the need to create a suitable environment for the education of future architects. Ten years later, the modern single-story building with an attic and a distinctive Cubist-style portal received a second floor, which was the work of Kotěra’s student, Josef Gočár. The extension exhibits characteristics of functionalism, such as the glazed roof studios. From the mid-20th century, the school underwent further modifications, involving architects such as Jaroslav Fragner, František Cubr, and the long-standing professor Emil Přikryl. The complete reconstruction of the building, which took place between 2018 and 2020, was carried out by Marcela Steinbachová and the Skupina studio.

U Akademie 172/2, 170 00 Praha 7 – Bubeneč
U Akademie 172/2, 170 00 Praha 7 – Bubeneč

Other Mapfields