The Czech post main building
Originally, the site of the current imposing late Neoclassical palace was occupied by a botanical garden owned by Angela of Florence, who cultivated medicinal herbs for Emperor Charles IV himself. In 1744, the Celestine order settled here, and their building with a chapel was designed by Kilián Ignác Dientzenhofer. The monastery was dissolved by Joseph II and demolished in 1871 to make way for the planned new post office. The wings of the building, designed by architect Antonín Brandner, have a floor plan in the shape of the number eight and enclose a covered courtyard and an inner courtyard. The highlight of the hall is the mural painting by Karel V. Mašek in the Neo-Renaissance style, featuring floral motifs and allegorical figures representing postal services and transportation. The glass roof of the hall was added in 1898, creating a well-lit and architecturally interesting partitioned hall.