The Church of the Czechoslovak Hussite Church in Smíchov
The Hus Congregation in Smíchov was designed by architects Sobotka and Vachata in 1933, and two years later, its construction was realized by the Karlín firm of Václav Nekvasil. Thanks to a simple concrete structure, they were able to complete the construction in just ten months, after which the church was ceremoniously consecrated. The entrance from street level leads through a projecting pergola, and a pair of staircases leads into the prayer hall itself. All the windows in the main hall are grouped symbolically in threes, and the main facade rises steeply on three steps towards three doors and three windows.
On the roof above the main entrance, there is an Orthodox cross with two horizontal beams and one diagonal beam. The dominant feature is a 21-meter-high tower, which offers an extraordinary view of the city from its gallery. The tower is complemented by a clock face and the Husite symbol of the chalice.