The entire complex of Klementinum is interwoven with a system of passages. The former Jesuit college stands on the site of the former Dominican monastery and is the largest architectural complex in the cadastral area of Staré Město (Old Town). Since its founding in 1557, it has undergone numerous architectural modifications by various architects and artists, with probably the greatest contribution attributed to Carlo Lurago as the author of the early Baroque Church of the Most Holy Saviour. Klementinum has always been a place of education and has served as a backdrop for many giants of Czech culture. Within its walls, Bohuslav Balbín, Josef Kajetán Tyl, and Jan Neruda, among others, made their mark. Today, the complex houses the National Library of the Czech Republic, and some of its spaces are partially accessible to the public.